Sunday, September 1, 2013

Back from holidays and feeling great!

Sorry it has been longer than normal in between posts! I was away on a short holiday with my husband. I had booked flights for us to Jersey as a surprise for him for his birthday and we headed off on Tuesday of last week. I was so excited about going but also so nervous. I was very worried I'd give into holiday temptation and regret it hugely once the rose coloured glasses came off!



I have to say, I am rather proud of myself as I was very well behaved while we were away. Jersey itself is quite a small island and we opted not to hire a car as my cousin had offered to drive us around if needed. This in itself was probably the wisest choice we made as it forced us to walk everywhere. We were based around a mile outside of the town & rather quickly I began to clock up activity points with the walking we were doing just simply exploring. In total, we estimated we walked around 25km in 3 days which I thought was pretty good going! I kept my activity points separate and I didn't dip into them over the break. 


In terms of food, I did not for one second feel deprived. We ate out on our first night and I opted for a yummy salad with the dressing on the side. I also enjoyed some Processco with elderflower which I pointed accordingly. I ate lunches out most days with my husband and my family, but made very wise choices and never regretted anything I ate. One day in particular I had the most delicious Lemon and Honey Chicken Kebab with side salad and I really enjoyed it.




I of course had treats too, but opted for Milky Moo ice pops at 1pp when my hubby went for a 99. We were taken to one amazing harbour that is famous for its HUGE 99s. I have to admit, I had a tub with the equivalent  to a small 99 amount of ice cream but with out the cone or flake. I pointed it and I enjoyed every lick! My husband however did not show the same restraint and went for the very LARGE 99. :)




I have come home from this holiday feeling really relaxed and not in one bit guilty. I had a wonderful few days and I felt it really showed how flexible the programme is. I was able to have a breakfast out on the morning we left Ireland and on the way home, and had healthy choices for both (porridge & fresh fruit in Cork, and Fruit salad and l.f Greek yoghurt in Jersey). I was able to eat out most days but make smart choices. I even had the most delicious white choc and raspberry mini cheese cake one evening, but again was able to factor it all into my dailies and weeklies. 


I think this holiday was a test of how committed I was to the programme. This time last year I went away & I simply ate my way through the holiday and came home feeling rotten and not to mention a few lbs heavier as a result. I really struggled to get back on the wagon after that. This time I made good choices and most importantly I had a wonderful time with my husband. We went walking, sight seeing and my husband even flew us to France in a 4 seater plane. It was his first time flying since he was ill so it was a big achievement!





After this holiday there is no getting back on the wagon as I never came off it. 
And that's a gooood feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment