Sunday, May 4, 2014

One year...

One year ago I sat in my car, trying to decide if I was going to cancel or not. I was nervous, embarresed and not sure if I was ready. I sat in my car for at least 15 minutes fighting with myself and then texted me friend to try and cancel. Sarah had joined weight watchers a few months previous, and when I texted her to cancel her little responce gave me the push I needed. I told her I was running late and that I didn't think i'd make weigh in. Sarah responded saying she "would save me a seat, and I could weigh in after the class." I remember thinking, oh no...I have to go now, I have no excuse. I relucatantly started my car, drove to Garryduff in Rochestown and walked through the door.

 

I joined the que after a friendly smile from my friend. I had butterflies in my stomach and contemplated walking out before I stepped on the scales. I had been on this journey before and had reached gold membership after loosing just shy of 4 stone. That weight, plus more quickly crept back on when my husband was diagnosed with an advanced form of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. His care became my priority and I stopped keeping track of my weight. This added to my reluctance to weigh in as I was utterly ashamed. I had managed to loose 26lbs at home but I knew deep down I needed the discipline and encouragement of a weekly class to loose the weight I so desperately wanted to.

     

I stepped up to the scales and was greeted by a warm smile from Sue, the weight watchers leader. I explained I was a gold member from a former life and that I knew I had a long way to go. Sue put me at ease, and despite my starting weight being over 17 stone, there was no judgement or tutting...simply encouragement that I could do it. I was given my little blue book, a small goal to work towards and lots of advice from the other members in the class. 

I can honestly say I haven't looked back. I set myself small, achievable targets and worked towards them. I had weeks that were fantastic, others that were tough. Some days I exercised, others I didn't. There were tears and laughter, and times I felt like giving up. But I plodded on, and hoped for a loss each week. Some weeks I was down, some weeks I stayed the same and others I gained.
But I never gave up!

   

One year on, I have lost 4 stone 10lbs and I am back within my 5lb range for my gold card. I feel like a different person and have a zest for life that a year ago I wouldn't have dreamt was possible. I have gone from feeling exhausted and self conscious, to feeling in control of my life and ready for anything I face. I have energy, I want to enjoy each day and I am focused on being healthy. I am able to go hiking with my husband, I have just started running the c25k and above all, I feel healthy.

    



So, for any of you just starting, rejoining or considering taking that first step...take it from me, you won't regret it. I am 4lbs from goal and I honestly feel like I have reclaimed my life. I didn't realise how much my weight was impacting on my life, but now almost 7 stone lighter in total, I feel like ME again.

It's been an adventure so far, but worth every single step! 


1 comment:

  1. Brilliant post! Love the positivity and well done! Simply inspiring x

    ReplyDelete