Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Staying motivated (Part One!)

Whether it's the three week slump, or the six month stagnation...we can all hit a bit of a lull in our weight loss where we can feel a bit disheartened or we can loose our motivation. Your weight loss can slow down to a pace you are not happy with, or in some cases it stops dead in its tracks with no real reason for it. It can be one of the most frustrating times in your weight loss journey. The novelty has worn off a little, and things are slowing down. How do you move past a lull without allowing it to sabotage all you hard work?

I for one had a few weeks towards the end of the summer where I was playing around with the same stubborn lbs that just would not get off my thighs (and bum, tum, etc!) At that stage I had lost around 3 and a half stone and things just seemed to slow down...almost to a total halt. It was one lb off and then half a lb back on again. I grew very frustrated and I lost a bit of my motivation. I decided what I needed was a plan. A motivation plan. A go to list of tips to help me keep my focus, even if things slowed down a little. Tips that would help remind me of how far I'd come to date, and how to keep me motivated to continue on my journey. 


These tips are useful and fun. Something a little different than the normal "track, exercise and drink water" which we all try to do on a daily basis. I hope they are as helpful to you as they have been to me!


Number One: 
Don't JUST Measure your success by pounds lost on the scales.


You might ask, how is that possible when once a week we all go along to a class where we are weighed? Isn't that the main focus? Of course it plays a major role in our weight loss journey, but there are other ways to measure your success.

  • Measure how many sizes in jeans you have lost.
  • Measure how many inches you have lost.
  • Measure how your confidence is growing.
  • Measure how much fitter you are becoming.


Number Two: Don't Expect Miracles in a few days.


I think when I first joined Weight Watchers, and when I hit my lull over the summer I wanted to see instant results. I wanted to see my waist shrink over night and even though it took years for me to gain my weight, I wanted to loose it fast. I have learnt, slowly, that this is a change of life. I have to remind myself every now and again that this is not a fad, fast weight loss diet. It is a long term, healthy lifestyle change that will take time so I may as well enjoy the journey!

Number Three: Do this for you and ONLY you.


I firmly believe that you have to be 100% committed to this life change for you to see the results you want. In the past I have lost weight to fit in, to be more like the other girls in school, college, work etc. I think you have to make the decision to become healthier purely for you. Not to make anyone else happy, but to make YOU happy. To help with your confidence, to help you live a happy long life where weight is not an issue. Remind yourself of the personal reasons you started out on this journey, and when you are having a hard time you can focus on those reasons to help motivate you to carry on.

Number Four: Go through your wardrobe and 
give away clothing that is too big.


This for me is a MAJOR boost. It doesn't matter is it is one size or 100 sizes you have lost, when you try on a pair of jeans that used to cling to you and they are now loose...you feel wonderful. I made a decision to hold on to ONE pair of big jeans, and ONE top. These help me on days when I struggle to see how far I've come, because when I put them on I can see it straight away. I have however, donated all my other larger clothes as I have no intent in fitting back into them. All my bigger items were bagged & donated. It is a great feeling as you can physically see that part of your life being bagged & leaving forever. 

Number Five: Take Photos!


This may sound like a big headed suggestion, but I find taking progress pictures is a huge motivation. I used to hide away from the camera, but I do have one or two "before" photos. One thing that can really spur me on when I'm having a bad day is taking a new progress picture and comparing it with the old photos. It can be subtle changes over time like seeing more of your eyes (which have a real sparkle now), your smile widening, (because it's a real smile now) or seeing more of your waist appearing in each picture that will spur you on. Photos are not just from the shoulders up now! 

So this week, if you are struggling to find your motivation, go and try on an old pair of jeans...remind yourself this process will take time, remember why you started in the first place, clear out some clothing that is too big and compare some old photos! I guarantee you will feel fantastic afterwards, and you'll muster up some new found motivation! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment