Friday, January 17, 2014

Loving the change

Have you ever had that moment yet when it hits you? 
A bittersweet mixture of pride and embarrassment...
You are completely over whelmed and taken aback...

It dawns on you the amount of weight you have lost.

It might be half a stone, three stone or more...
However much, when you have that moment and it hits you, it can be quite something. 

A mental battle can ensue..you look back at photos and they make your skin crawl...

How did I ever let myself get like that? 
How did I not notice? 
Why did no body tell me?

I had that moment this week. I stepped on the scales at weigh in and to my delight my leader told me I was down 3lbs following the Simple Start Plan. I nearly hugged her! I received my 7th silver 7 with Weight Watchers bringing my weight loss total to date to 75lbs...5 st 4.5 lbs...34kg. I sat in my class thinking about where I was at the beginning of my journey, and I couldn't help feeling shame that I had allowed myself to gain the amount of weight I did in the first place. As some of you know, I piled on the pounds when my husband was battling cancer and I comfort ate my way through the stress. I had a completely unhealthy relationship with food, and as a result I ended up at Weight Watchers. I can honestly say I haven't looked back.


For that split second in my class this week I felt ashamed, and then it dawned on me. I am worth far more than that. I have spent over a year working to regain control of my weight, and now I am almost there. I am healthy. I am making positive changes in my life and as a result, I feel fantastic. I have energy, I have motivation and I shouldn't be ashamed of my past. It, after all, shapes who we are as people. 


I have discovered in the past week, I have a renewed passion for cooking. I have always adored cooking...part of the problem in the first place I guess! But this time it's different. I am loving experimenting with food. I am passionate about cooking food that is good for me and my husband. That feeds us with healthy, nutritious goodness that gives us energy. I have also discovered I am really enjoying sharing my passion with others. I love giving tips and sharing recipes with others so that they may too enjoy really tasty, wholesome meals. 


I have decided that there is NO shame in loosing weight. If anything, it proves how strong I am. I am overcoming my demons, and I am determined to be a healthy 20-something year old woman who is positive about all aspects of her life and isn't willing to settle for less. If my story can help inspire someone to take the step towards a healthier, longer life then I am happy to share it with anyone who will listen.


I am grabbing the Simple Start plan with both hands as I thrive on a challenge. I am embracing week two and I am learning so much about my eating patterns. I am feeling full, content and free on the Simple Start plan. My husband is also benefiting from it as he is fuller between meals and not snacking either. I have found myself reaching for the fruit bowl instead on the curly wurlies this week which is an incredible change for me. I know everyone is different and SS may not be for all, but I am feeling fantastic on it. 

I have added a lot of recipes to my "Cooking myself Skinny" recipe page. If you click on the Recipe tab at the top of the page, you'll find some inspiration there. They are suitable for people following both the SS and PP plan.

So all, embrace your weight loss to date with pride. I am not there yet, but I am feeling closer than ever. We all have our own individual stories, and a weight loss that is huge to us all in it's own right. Be proud of how far you've come, and when you look back at old pictures, old clothes etc be kind to yourself. 


You are making the change and there is no shame it that. 


2 comments:

  1. I could have written this myself numerous times over the past year. Since I got to goal it hits me every now and then especially when i look at old photos. Sometimes I get embarrassed telling people how much weight I lost as I assume they think "well how did she let it get that bad in the first place" - but then like you I realise that things happen in life and we should be proud of the fact that no matter what happened before we have taken action and improved our own situation.

    Such a fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zed. :) I am slowly learning that there should be no shame involved in loosing weight. We are stepping up & putting the problem right. No shame in that!

      Delete