Thursday, November 28, 2013

It's a process...

In the past, when I have been trying to loose weight, I have always looked for the quick fix. I have always wanted to get the weight off as fast as possible, in whatever way that worked the fastest. I didn't care if it wasn't healthy, or sustainable, I just wanted something to got rid of the problem. I tried liquid diets, I tried weight loss pills and I tried excessive exercise. All of these things worked...for all of around two days. I would either become fatigued, I would become irrational or I would just plain old give up because I was hungry! Sound familiar?

Even when I rejoined weight watchers in May, I began to get frustrated as I wasn't loosing the weight fast enough. I wasn't content with a loss of 1lb a week as I felt it was a slow slog rather than a life changing weight loss. 


I have noticed recently there are "quick fix" weight loss diet plans EVERYWHERE. 
The Internet, the TV and Facebook. 

"Drink these shakes and you'll be guaranteed to loose 2 stone in 8 weeks." 
"Order these pills and you'll see a weight loss 3 x more effective than diet alone." 

I was even watching the biggest looser this week and found myself doubting my own weight loss as the contestants on it were annoyed because they "only" lost 12lbs this week. No wonder we are tough on ourselves when we are surrounded by outside, unhealthy influences. It took me almost 4 years to put on my weight...I am not going to healthily loose it in a matter of weeks. 


It can really throw our focus off when we compare ourselves to other people, other weight loss plans or how we performed in the past. For example, I have found (until recent weeks) my weight loss has been twice as slow as it was when I first did weight watchers when I was 19. I beat myself up big time for the first few weeks of re-joining instead of embracing the fact I had taken the biggest step in re-joining, and that I should be proud of myself. 

I have come to the realisation that I am my own person, that my body shape is unique to me and there is no point in me wishing I was like someone else. My weight loss journey is also unique to me and I will only drive myself mad if I am constantly comparing how many lbs I loose a week to the person next to me in the ww line. We can rob ourselves of mini victories by wishing we had major victories. We all know that little by little, a little becomes a lot. But if we are so focused on how everyone else is doing and are constantly forgetting to congratulate ourselves, we fail to see how well we are doing. 


I feel that I am in the most healthy mind frame I have been since re-joining ww. I am focused on a long term, healthy lifestyle goal, rather than a quick fix. I am seeing the mini goals I am reaching, and I'm proud of that. It's not always easy, and I know that life can throw stumbling blocks every now and again. With my back injury, I am learning that it's how we handle the stumbling blocks that is important. I could have used my back as an excuse, and let my focus slip, but instead I have tried to keep my eye on my end goal...which is to lead a healthy, happy life. 

With Christmas approaching, I am so excited to spend time with my family. I know that this Christmas I won't be hiding behind the camera instead of having my photo taken. I can feel my confidence is rising, and although I am not at "goal" I am feeling happy in my own skin. I have a pretty dress to wear on Christmas day and I have a stunning 1950's style dress on hold for our ww Christmas dinner. 

One big thing I am aware of is that I am not avoiding social situations. Last year, the idea of a Christmas party would have been the last thing I wanted to do. The idea having to be around a lot of people would have been a nightmare. I was so self conscious and felt so uncomfortable in my own skin. This year, I'm not even paying a second thought that side of a social gathering. I'm just looking forward to spending time with those I love and not making excuses.


So, as you can gather, I am trying to drive in the importance of focusing on YOU. 
But on the positives, rather than the negatives. 

Be proud of you...be confident in YOUR skin....do no put YOURSELF down... 
Whether you are on day one of your journey, or day 1000...you are doing it. 
You have something to be proud of, don't let anything rob you of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment